July 3, 2009

You can't win with a losing hand

Fireworks are going off outside. The noise actually scared me and made me realize how little we celebrate anything worthwhile. It seems silly to me how people celebrate the fourth of July with such conviction. Borders and patriotism makes no sense to me. They mean absolutely nothing and only reflect how much we divide ourselves.

Divide, categorize, scrutinize, fear...kill.

Bill Hicks said brilliant things about patriotism.


There is no meaning in being proud of the country your parents happened to fuck in. And people get so crazy about the 4th. Any mention of these things will usually start an argument or a heated discussion. Which is exactly what happened to me last year.

Each year I spend time thinking about the natives to this land and their dark history with the white faced man from across the ocean. My soul swells with sympathy for them. With such a brutal and bloody past- what gives rise to such celebration each year? And is celebrating "Thanksgiving" supposed to make up for it? Give the natives back what was stolen and then I'll be celebrating.

So last year I brought up these facts in conversation and was scoffed at. This person proceeded to spit out phrases like "survival of the fittest" and "they deserved it". A flame of anger ignited in me just reliving the conversation. But I know I shouldn't feel anger- everyone has a right to their own opinion and it doesn't really matter if it matches my own. I just happen to feel a deep connection with Native Americans.

I wish I could run away with a tribe so I could live in a decent society which teaches the things that matter.